Friday, September 16, 2011

Start Here

I figure the best place to start is the beginning (duh...) and in this case the beginning is the motivation for this blog.

I am the worst speaker ever.

Whether it be commenting on blogs, talking to someone face-to-face, on the phone, etc... I suck at conveying ideas in a compelling manner. Perhaps its the fact that I have two lazy eyes and never make eye contact... probably. So you may ask why is someone who can't talk blogging? The reason is rather simple: I may suck at talking but I'm very good at showing and doing... and that's what this blog is about.

This blog is going to show the studies available on various nutrition topics and based on evaluation of the studies draw conclusions on what we actually know and what is pseudo-science, bro-science, and just straight crap (Seven-Countries Study?).

The drawn conclusions will be broken up into three categories:

1) Likely True: This is the high honor, where there are at least three randomized, controlled, HUMAN trials, performed in a way that minimizes confused and incorrect results.

2) Maybe: Where there are one or two decent-good studies done in the area, but really needs more research before incorporating it into your daily life.

3) Theory: There is only one good study and some surveys/animal studies that back the idea, definitely needs more research before going long term on the idea.

So what is a good study?

A good study is a human study of a large population that is randomized and preferably double-blind, only looks at one variable, uses an unbiased statistical analysis when interpreting the results, and uses all data that is available. That is my definition, if you don't like it start your own blog and use your definition.

The best study...n=1...

These conclusions are designed to show you what has the best chance of working for the general population and should give you a good starting point. Everyone is different though, so minor to major tweaking will most likely be required for your personal needs/goals/health. I would suggest trying to incorporate the ideas listed under "most likely" in whatever topic you are interested in and then if unsatisfied with the result or just want to try something else monkey around with the "maybe" ideas and see what happens.

Final thought: I am not a super human who can weed through 1x10^10 studies per day so if you find that a topic is lacking a study(s) by all means send me the name of it and a link if there is one. I don't want to be getting flamed because I missed this one study that is the end-all-be-all in that particular topic, so be nice and just let me know and I will add it and edit the conclusions. Also if there is a topic you don't see let me know and I'll start poking around that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment